Saturday 18 May 2013

Critical Reflection on Professional Practitioner Inquiry


Critical Reflection on Professional Practitioner Inquiry

Looking back over the journey that has been module two, one thing stood out and got me thinking. I‘d gone through the tasks laid out by the university which have guided me in gaining knowledge and information needed to put together a solid inquiry proposal. But what really gave me food for thought was the pivotal moments of change and enlightenment that have occurred throughout this process. Moments where the clouds parted, and words and ideas fell off the tip of my tongue. It’s these moments that I’ve chosen to reflect on, not merely because the thoughts and decisions made at these times have signposted the direction of my inquiry but because of the circumstance in which these epiphanies have occurred.

Whilst developing my lines of professional inquiry I learnt the importance of questioning my practice whilst looking for gaps or barriers to use as problems to research. Rosemary’s blog inspired a moment of clarity where she says ‘A great quality to have in this endeavour is one of curiosity - to develop an inquiring mind. Why should such a thing be? Is that the ‘truth’ and so on. Moreover, this develops a critical quality in your thinking, which is just what we are looking for on this programme.’ (Appendix A). Rosemary also recommended Freakonomics; a great read that helped me understand the practical applications of inquiry.

I shared my initial questions (Appendix B) on my blog and with colleagues. One communication proved invaluable as my next moment of enlightenment (Appendix C).

My blog post 4b (Appendix D) signifies two more key revelations; firstly, the formation of my Significant Interest Group (Sig) and secondly a new level of understanding. On my blog I quote ‘It's funny but I've really found that hearing my own ideas spoken in other people's words has made me able to access that bit of clarity that seems to constantly be on the tip of my Tongue.’ Comments from others really are a great example of how sharing can shape your ideas.

Initially I struggled to see the merit of my inquiry and how it would make a difference. I came across an inspiring blog by Peter Bryant (Appendix E). This quotation struck me: ‘They are not sea-changes nor are they barbarians banging at the gate. There is something to be said for the idea of from little things, big things grow’. It helped put my inquiry into context, especially the scale and feasibility.

The campus session on ethics highlighted the value of attending sessions. We brainstormed everything and anything on ethics until we had a clearer picture (Appendix F). I had my next revelation when Alan proselytized the “less is more” approach to inquiry. At last, I tapered my ideas into my final inquiry proposal.

Whilst piloting the tools of professional inquiry the emphasis turned to my Sig and what great support they provided as willing volunteers (appendix G).

On reflection, the biggest revelation of this emotional and mental journey is the realisation that - for the most part - my success is through engagement with my networks. Networking is an amazing source for a wealth of information that has assisted me in the ownership of my critical thinking process. In the future it will play its part in helping me sustain my professional practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment