Friday 14 February 2014

Back in the game....

After taking some time out from the course I was returning with trepidation!!! 

I took some time out from my 9-5 to attend yesterday's campus session and was so glad I did. It's made me feel part of something again and armed me with the confidence and enthusiasm that I need to take the plunge back into my studies. 

We spend a fair amount of the time looking at what things actually mean to us and how to find the evidence we need to back up our thoughts and opinions. Trawling the internet for articles and academia are not my forte so it was a really useful exercise in how to get the most out of a search to actually find relevant information. 

Braking up our ideas and redifining what they actually mean to us proved very helpful in coming up with good search terminology. The term digital literacy came up - a great term for a very valuable skill to have on this course. 

The idea of using the internet as a place to shop for ideas is a fabulous way to approach this quest for knowledge. It was said that we should treat this like we are driving a car with no directions as to where we are headed. It's exciting that we may discover things that we never knew existed on the way and at the same time scary that another route could show us different things. But we will all get there in the end :) 

We talked about theorising our learning, gathering other peoples knowledge and ideas and comparing them to our own for a deeper way of looking/thinking about something. 

Map out different views and opinions and look where the boundaries of these ideas lay to find/define an idea and establish validity. 

I hope this helps those of you that couldn't be there and I look forward to having you all as part of a new generation of SIG's :) 

Ps...Happy Valentines Day xx






 

3 comments:

  1. I too find myself catching up on the ole blogs I'm behind and looking towards my fellow bloggers to help me find some more insight on my thoughts... I look forward to reading yours and hopefully helping you! :) JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bobbie - hope you might also consider some links to your final work about first impressions in teaching. Bw

    ReplyDelete