Thursday 8 November 2012

Journal Writing Experience - 2b


  A reflective Journal...

What is reflective practice? Moon defines reflective practice as "a set of abilities and skills, to indicate the taking of a critical stance, an orientation to problem solving or state of mind". In a much simpler form I like to think of it as 'consciously thinking and analysing what one has done or is doing or of what one may do next!

The use of a Reflective Journal is a great autonomous way of identifying and learning about oneself allowing us to bridge the gap between theory and practice.

Trying out the different ways to approach writing my journal suggested in the handbook were a great eye opener and a brilliant confidence boost to move on and explore other methods and techniques.

  • Description - I found this a great way to bring back my actions and experiences. Sometimes after a long busy and varied day certain activities fade into the background. But going over everything that happened to me and where and when helped me get an outline and piece together everything that had gone on.

  • Initial Reflection - Although not in depth enough to give any real insight or meaning this tool helped me flag up things that I wanted to give closer inspection to.

  • List - A fantastic way to think aloud, key words, thoughts and feelings flow freely ready for closer inspection and analysis. I found words sprang to mind seemingly for no reason but I listed them anyway only to go on to give them more thought and realise they were key in the experience that I had had.

  • Evaluation - I found this the hardest way so far, I felt I was only evaluating what was already obvious to me...Made me realise that in this sense I definitely needed to think outside the box.

  • Graphs, charts and diagrams - I think I can safely say this is not the journal writing experience for me, I found it frustrating and time consuming! I stuck with it and tried playing around with a few things but I have to say it tugged on an artistic and mathematical side that just didn't want to come out to play!!!

  • What if? - How fantastic, such a great way to look at things, I found this really positive. I’ve definitely been putting this tool to good use. Its not only made me realise just how bad a situation could have been but its made me look at what potential there was and how to bring this through with me to enhance future experiences and learning.

  • Another View - I found this quite depressing at first, through someone else’s eyes I was very hard and negative on myself. But looking at the view from an inanimate object without feelings of pre conceived ideas I found that I was able to give myself a great positive critique another great tool I will be using in the future.

Another technique I've come across and would like to share with you all as it works really well for me...

  • The unsent letter - Write your experiences and thoughts to someone in letter form, its not meant to be sent but added to your journal. I found that doing this I asked a lot more valuable questions and in turn had to reflect and answer them.

The whole Journal writing experience has already certainly been a journey for me. It’s led to hours of self realisation and some self doubt. It’s made me feel high and low all in a matter of minutes. I think it is a much more valuable exercise than I first gave it credit. I realise that it is a process that will forever be developing and there will always be more to gain from it. I think it is something I will carry on doing long after this course is over.

I'd like to end with a quote from Biggs "a reflection in a mirror is an exact replica of what is in front of it. Reflection in professional practice, however, gives back not what is, but what might be, an improvement of the original"

3 comments:

  1. Great stuff Bobbie - yes it is powerful to think about what your are doing and I think it takes a lot of discipline ad well - love the Biggs quote - Biggs had a lot to do putting the ideas behind learning objectives into higher education.

    You can always use the Harvard style shorthand to do a brief bibliographic reference if your want to pass on a good source. e.g.

    Biggs, John (2001) 'The reflective institution: Assuring and enhancing the quality of teaching and learning', HIGHER EDUCATION, Vol. 41, No. 3 , pp. 221-238. in the test it would be e.g. (Biggs, 2001, p. 221)

    This is learning for the grown ups...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bobbie - Your honesty really shines out of this blog and really makes me feel connected to the things that you write.
    I have also found that negativity seems to pervade my journal, if I let it, and have made a conscious decision to write at least one positive thought/ experience about my day. I am hoping that this will help me grow professionally by not just taking for granted when things go right, but seeing how I had a hand in it, or by ignoring a positive experience in favour of a negative one.
    I think I'm finally beginning to realise that life is all about balance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah that's a great idea. I'm Def trying to tip the balance to more positive too. I really think we have to be honest if we are to gain as much as we can from this course. I love the fact that your breaking down your positive experiences to see you role in them. That's a great learning curve in making more things go your way in the future. Think I'll steal that idea!!! ;) thanks.

    ReplyDelete