Tuesday 5 November 2013

Student Relationships: You only get one chance to make a first impression, summery so far...

For Paula and anyone else that has the time or inclination :)

My inquiry questions...

The importance of first impressions.
What makes a good first impression.
The significance of a good teacher-student relationship.
What makes a good teacher-student relationship.

My objective is to gather information that allows me to achieve all of the above. I will be this be observing teachers first interactions with new classes. 

The feedback I received after submitting my inquiry helped me to realise that I needed to be a little more specific as to what I am hoping to achieve and define my line of inquiry. Although my inquiry looks closely at students and teachers it is the behaviour of the the teachers that I am focusing on. The reaction this has on the children will help me to establish the forms of behaviour for other teacher that I would like to take forward in achieving my goals. 

Although a very simple set of Inquiry tools using observation with a follow up interview. My feed back suggested that I then a few weeks later met with the teachers again either for another observation or interview to established how there relationships with there new class had come on since their first encounters. I have decided after some thought to meet with the teacher to have an informal chat about how there relationships with the students are progressing. Anything that they would change in hindsight and things they may add or do differently next time. 

I've become aware that I need to take a more holistic approach, that not only the work and writing of other professionals can help me in this process but that I should draw more upon my own experiences as a professional. That my knowledge from situations I have encountered throughout my career has a voice in the analysis stage of my inquiry. 

In analysis I will be looking also at a transdiciplanary approach. Theorising what I have observed and how realistic it may in in the lager context. Also focusing on what I can learn from the bits that didn't work. 

I've given my artifact a lot if thought. How would I like someone to share this information with me. As a new teacher or an exisiting one looking to develope ones skill set what padagogy would be best suited. I plan to develope a short audio visual training piece that could potentially be displayed on a get into teaching website or provided to schools to share with their staff new or established. 
This will be a hands on display of my findings giving the viewer help, advice and examples of how to establish a good practice when first forming teacher-student relationships. 

The practical side is going really well so far and is almost complete. I am however struggling to find the right piece for my literature review. A lot of my reading has focused on first impression or teacher-student relationships. I've not found anything of real significance combining the two....any ideas or suggestion would be greatfully received :)

Bobbie. 

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff - I do hope others see this as well as an update on what you are doing - who are you talking to and why? (roles? how many?) transdisciplinary - yes - explain more? Artefact idea sounds good - teacher - student relationships - audience teachers. Have you had a chance to think about emerging findings? Analysis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paula.

    I've read a lot across the blogs about he merits of a good action plan I'm in the process of doing this now bad will share with you all along with what I've been up to is far ASAP.

    ReplyDelete