Sunday 7 April 2013

5c - Ethics in a Professional Context...

Looking at the different theories and ideas around ethics has made me look back at my own experiences at the hands of professionals.

I like most of us studied dance for many years. I responded really well to harsh criticism. Of course the praise always went down nicely too but I never felt hard done by if I got it in the neck more than others in the class as I knew it was what worked best for me.

The way my long term dance teacher treated me was ethically appalling but I still have no complaints it helped me achieve what I have today. But now as a professional myself I see what the ripple effects that this abandonment of ethical and moral rule has had.

The reader has opened my eyes to how far ethics stretch and how bad choices and decisions can affect so many more people than you may at first realise. Another fellow dancer remembers the time we shared in class together very differently. I loved it yet she will shudders slightly at the memory. The teacher was very kind to her but the knock on effect at watching those of us that did get it in the neck upset her gravely and really effected her trust and relationships with teacher in general.

I now as a professional I will certainly give a lot more thought to my behaviour. I'm not saying that everything should be nice and sugar coated all the time as that does no one any favours in the long run. And not every body should be treated the same as we are all individuals and need different things. But I will most certainly consider the greater good when making my professional decisions.

I strongly believe that Hobbes (1651) idea of a social contract is current and valid today, we do need guidelines to live in harmony and mutual benefit. Of course these guidelines can not be set in stone as we have seen. Cultures, religions and individuals needs vary. We have to adapt our behaviour to fit in with the ethical values of our current situation..

I cannot get my head around Kant (1779) idea of moral rules being absolute. I feel that this would lead to the breakdown of society as we know it. And not for the good. Whereas Mill (1861) argument that the end justifies the means is a guideline that should in certain situations be part of our social contract.

The theoretical approaches to ethics are great tools when it comes to evaluating ethical issues in our professional (and personal) lives. I would like to use elements of consequentialism, deontology and virtue ethics. Sometimes the greater good is the most important thing and there are things in my professional live that will always be seen as wrong. The person I am and the actions that I take make me who I am and give others grounds on which to judge me. The key thing is learning to effectively handle different situations and issues as they arise.

I think I'm going to have to ask a lot of normative questions in the build up and during my inquiry to get the ethics just right..

There is plenty of food for thought here...

No comments:

Post a Comment