Saturday 27 April 2013

6b - pilot interview...

Ok so I managed at last to get a pilot interview done. I tried a different tact with this and based my questions a lot more heavily on my specific inquiry topic.

I went for the semi structured interview approach. So I had a list of questions but also an open mind as to where the questions might lead us.

I included open and closed interviews questions as I thought this would give me the most scope or collecting information that I could analyse.

I also decided to take notes rather that record the interview as I thought that the presence of a recording device might intimidate the interviewee.

I put together a covering information sheet that was basic but to the point.

The interview went really well and I enjoyed this inquiry tool the most. I think that I had more of an idea of how to prepare and control the whole process.

The plus points...

Great one on one in depth data.

Opportunity to run with a theme and gather unexpected data.

Able to build a relationship with the interviewee and possible opportunity for a second interview.

Can really hone down on specific areas and explore to the point of an acceptable conclusion.

Can offer up avenues that you hadn't already thought of.

The down side...

Can be time consuming and hard to narrow down and find just the right willing volunteers.

Collating so much data into some sort of decipherable results is hard to do.

The ethical side needs great consideration. The data protection act needs to be adhered to and giving a fair representation of people's views is critical.

I will be using interview as my main inquiry tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment